The Master’s House was originally a home for the Master of St Katherine’s Hospital, but successive occupants have altered the house to suit their own needs.
At its heart is the original timber-framed Tudor mansion. Over more than 500 years, the building has been adapted and added to in four main phases, and most recently underwent painstaking restoration between 2011 – 2015.
Ledbury Market House is a beautiful, two storey building, raised on sixteen pillars, with a timber frame and brick infill. Work started on the Market House in 1617 and was eventually completed in 1668. Major work was carried out in the Victorian period and much of what can be seen today dates from that time. Later restoration works were carried out in the 20th century, but the most recent were in 2006, when a solution had to be found to address a serious issue with the stilts.
The 16th Century Painted Room is located in one of Ledbury’s oldest timber framed buildings. During restoration works in 1988, the restoration builders began to strip off the layers of wallpaper and paint that covered the walls of one of the upstairs rooms and discovered an unusual decoration apparently painted directly onto the plaster, underneath all the other coverings. Following advice by English Heritage, a team of restoration experts carefully removed the remaining layers. The decorations have proved to be one of the best examples of Elizabethan Wall Painting as yet discovered.
Tickets cost £16 Members / £24 Non-Members. If you would like to attend, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Cancellation policy: Refunds can be provided for cancellations 7 or more business days prior to the event.